The Agnes Robinson Waterloo Public Library Board of Trustees strives to maintain the
highest moral standards in the administration of the Library. All trustees affirm they shall:
- Observe ethical standards with absolute truth, integrity and honor;
- Avoid situations in which personal interests might be served or financial benefits gained at the expense of the Library or its users;
- Excuse one’s self immediately whenever there is the appearance of a conflict of interest;
- Ensure their personal philosophies or interests do not interfere with their administration of the Board or their support of its decisions;
- Respect the confidential nature of Library business while being aware of the applicable laws governing freedom of information;
- Support to the fullest the efforts of librarians in resisting censorship of Library materials by groups or individuals;
- Accept and perform all of the duties and functions of the position of Trustee;
- Listen and respect the opinions of other Board members;
- Recognize that authority lies only within legal meetings of the Board and not with its individual members;
- Keep the Board informed of relevant information that would be of interest to all of its members;
- Participate actively in meetings and actions and inform the Library Director when unable to attend;
- Attempt to anticipate the needs of the users of the Library;
- Recognize that the Board’s responsibility is to ensure the Library is well managed, never undermining the authority of the Director in that management;
- Represent all users and potential users of the Library fairly and equally;
- Ensure that the Library and its facilities are well maintained, financially secure, growing, and always operating in the best interests of its users;
- Advocate for the Library, both within the community and within other organizations;
- Use the Library and become familiar with its staff and operations;
- Take advantage of opportunities for continuing development.
- Use the Library and become familiar with its staff and operations.
Approved by the Library Board of Trustees September, 30, 2014.