- Laptop/tablet borrowers must be over the age of 18.
- Laptop/tablet borrowers must be members of the Agnes Robinson Waterloo Public Library for at least (3) months and have a record of good standing.
- Laptop/tablet borrowers must agree to the terms of checkout by signing a Library Laptop/Tablet Checkout Agreement.
- Laptop/Tablet borrowers must present a valid Nebraska driver’s license or other valid identification card at the time of checkout.
- Laptops/tablets are available on a first-come, first-serve basis and may be reserved ahead of time only when the device is already checked out.
- Each borrower/household may only check out either ONE laptop or ONE tablet at a time (and ONE hotspot if needed).
- HP Laptop or Samsung Galaxy Tablets checked out to take home may NOT be used in the Library unless arrangements have been made with the Librarian. Only in-library checkouts may be used at the Library.
- Laptops/Tablets may be checked out for a period of seven (7) days. A Monday checkout is due the following Monday at least 30 minutes before closing. It is mandatory that the patron remain in the Library until staff has checked the laptop/tablet in and it has been determined that there is no damage or missing items and an evaluation form has been completed.
- There are no renewals, either online, by email, or by phone. However, after the laptop/tablet is returned in person during normal business hours, the same laptop may be checked out after inspection by staff if it is not currently on hold for another patron.
- If laptops/tablets are not returned within seven (7) days, a fine of $25 per day will be assessed, in addition to $10 per day, if a borrowed hotspot is also overdue. Laptops/tablets not returned fourteen (14) days from checkout date will result in the accrual of the full replacement cost of the laptops/tablets and all accessories (and hotspot if applicable). In addition to replacement cost, all fines will be assessed up until replacement can be made. All Library privileges will be suspended under these conditions and will result in further collection methods.
- If laptops/tablets are lost, damaged, or stolen, borrowers are responsible for the replacement cost, as defined on the Replacement Costs sheet, of the laptop/tablet plus any accrued overdue fines regardless of who was using it under the care of the borrowing patron.
- If a laptop/tablet bag is lost, a replacement charge will occur. If an AC Adapter/Power Cord is lost, a charge will occur accordingly as listed on the Replacement Costs sheet.
- Laptop/tablet borrowers wishing to save files that they have created must save them to a disc, USB drive, etc. Any documents saved on the laptop/tablet will be lost when the laptop is shut down.
- Laptops/tablets shall not be put in the book drop or overnight drop box. They must be returned to a staff member who will check to make sure all items are returned intact.
- Parents/guardians are responsible for the use of the laptop/tablet by minors.
- The Children’s Internet Protection Act (CIPA) requires filtering on all computers purchased with CARES Act Grant funds. Therefore, the Library has installed filtering software on its laptops and the tablets available for checkout.
- If requested by an adult, 17 years and older, the filter can be turned off. The filter cannot be turned off for anyone 16 and younger.
- The filtering software is intended to protect against access to visual depictions of obscenity or child pornography. The presence of a filtering program should not create a false sense of security. The dynamic nature of the Internet prevents any filtering program from offering a 100% guarantee that no unwanted Internet resources will be displayed.
- In addition, no computer program can block access to obscene, harmful, or illegal information without also blocking access to “useful” information.
- An Internet filtering program cannot substitute for parents teaching children/teens their own family standards for the types of materials they do not wish them to read or view.
- Laptops/tablets may not be used for any illegal purposes.
- Laptop/tablet borrowers must provide his/her own accessories (e.g. headphones, and/or *USB drive) and the use of the accessories must not require the installation of any software on the laptop. USB drives may be purchased from the library for $10 each.
- Laptops/tablets can connect to the Internet utilizing a hotspot borrowed from the Library, or wireless access points at home or anywhere free or paid wireless access is available.
- Laptop/tablet borrowers may not install software and may not copy or delete any software loaded on the laptops/tablets, or change existing software or hardware configuration. Doing so will result in a loss of Library privileges and fines.
- Laptop/tablet borrowers are required to fill out a user survey upon returning the laptop/tablet for check in. A survey is required each and every time a laptop/tablet is checked out. You are NOT asked to include your name or any identifiers on the survey. Your responses to survey questions will help us with information about our efforts and experiences in using our grant funds to provide Internet access for people in our community and will be beneficial in supporting legislation and appropriations to provide further funding for improving library broadband services.
- The Library Director reserves the right to limit or regulate use of library equipment and may use discretion in granting exceptions.
This project is supported in part by the Library Services and Technology Act, administered by the federal Institute of Museum and Library Services and granted by the Nebraska Library Commission.
Approved by the Agnes Robinson Waterloo Public Library Board of Trustees on March 8, 2021.